INDUSTRY BENCHMARK THIN FILM MODULES
First Solar modules are the foundation to the world’s most advanced PV power plants. With over 7GW produced worldwide, First Solar’s advanced thin film technology has set the benchmark for sustainable energy solutions.
Benefits of First Solar's advanced thin film solar module technology:
- Outperforms conventional solar modules with equal power rating
- Proven energy yield advantage over conventional solar modules in hot climates
- World-record holder for CdTe thin film module (14.4%) and cell (18.7%) efficiency
- Manufacturing cost leader at $.68/watt (Q4 2012)
- Global, proven, and industry-leading recycling services
- Smallest carbon footprint and fastest energy payback time of any PV system
First Solar Modules Outperform Conventional Solar Modules
Ideal sunny location + First Solar modules = More energy for the same nameplate watts
First Solar modules have a proven performance advantage over traditional crystalline silicon solar modules. Due to a superior temperature coefficient, First Solar modules produce more energy in real-world environments.
At temperatures above 25°C, First Solar modules produce more energy than traditional crystalline silicon solar modules for the same nameplate watts.
The First Solar Energy Yield Advantage in Hot Climates
This proven energy yield advantage provides stronger plant performance in high temperature climates, where more than 90% of a PV plant’s generation can occur when module temperatures are above 25°C—where First Solar has a proven performance advantage.
Download a PDF of First Solar's hot climate white paper titled "Performance Characterization and Superior Energy Yield of First Solar PV Power Plants in High-Temperature Conditions" to learn more about our research into hot climate PV performance.
Comparison of PV Technology Performance in High Temperature Climates
The illustration above is based on a day of actual environmental and energy production data measured by First Solar for a 500kWp array in the Southwestern U.S. desert, compared to a typical crystalline silicon system with an equal nameplate. The First Solar system produced 11.3% more peak power and 9% more energy (kWh) than the crystalline silicon system.
Proven Technology Certified for Reliability and Safety
First Solar modules have been verified by independent engineers and certified to international performance and safety standards by third party laboratories around the world, including installations with NREL for over 16 years. First Solar modules are proven, bankable, and backed by a limited 25-year power output warranty and a limited 10-year materials and workmanship warranty.
- Certified for performance and safety according to IEC 61646, IEC 61730, and IEC 61701 (salt mist corrosion)
- Regionally certified to UL (North America), CEC (Australia), Golden Sun (China), and MCS (UK) standards
- Manufacturing certified to ISO 9001:2008 (quality), ISO 14001:2004 (environmental) and OHSAS 18001:2007 (occupational, health and safety) standards